Health Care Non-Discrimination Notice

Michigan State University (MSU) Health Care and its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate, exclude people, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.  Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act protect both women and men from discrimination on the basis of sex (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual abuse, and/or sexual assault) and are among the civil rights laws which protect students, employees, MSU Health Care patients, and other individuals.  

MSU Health Care provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as qualified sign language interpreters and free language interpretation services to people whose primary language is not English.  If you need these services, contact the manager of your physician’s office.  

Filing a grievance

If you believe that MSU Health Care has discriminated against or harassed any individual on the basis of age, color, gender, gender identity, disability status, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or weight, you are strongly encouraged to file a grievance in person or by mail, email, or through the Public Incident Reporting Form at:

Office of Institutional Equity (OIE)
4 Olds Hall, 408 W. Circle Drive
East Lansing, MI 48824


If you need help filing a grievance, or have questions about the non-discrimination provisions, in addition to OIE Staff, the following individuals are available to help you:   

  • Laura Rugless
    MSU Title IX Coordinator
    Olds Hall, Suite 105
    East Lansing, MI 48824
    (517) 355-3960
  • Tracy Leahy
    Health Care Civil Rights Specialist
    Olds Hall, Suite 4
     East Lansing, MI 48824 
    (517) 353-3922

Individuals also have the right to file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at, or by mail or phone at:  

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 
200 Independence Avenue, SW  
Room 509F, HHH Building  
Washington, D.C. 20201  

1-800-368-1019, 800-537-7697 (TDD)  

Complaint forms are available at